Did it hurt?
This book is a selection of diary entries following the career of a junior doctor. As such you can pick it up and put it down without ever losing the thread, although having said that I read it pretty much straight through (well it was the time between Christmas and New Year with no work to do!). Due to the style in which it is written, it does become a bit repetitive and the constant footnotes explaining the medical terminology were sometimes longer than the diary entries.
The book is funny in parts and sad in others, but on the whole I found the self-pitying tone of writing and the fact that at times it became a forum for the author's politics somewhat wearing.
Based on all the five star reviews I was disappointed with the book overall. Glad I read it, but would not bother to do so again.
(This review also appears on GoodReads, where you can find me as Karen Whittaker)
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2654266682?book_show_action=false&from_review_page=1
No comments:
Post a Comment